Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Respect to the lawyers of the world

I'm not going to lie, I don't really like lawyers that much (I'm not just talking about those on tv crime shows). For instance, if it wasn't for lawyers finding loop holes in meaningful, good laws surrounding pharmaceudical patents, then we could have shorter patents for drug like lipitor etc and save our government millions of dollars in prescription drugs. Or, when someone asked Mitt Romney if as president it is constitutional to wage war on a certain country, he defers with, "that's a question i'll have to ask my lawyer". Does that mean for the 2008 election I should vote based on which presidential candidate's lawyer I agree with the most?! There's something about lawyers that just makes me a little nauseous most of the time.

However, events happened last week that gave me a little hope about lawyers, what type of character some of them have. I have the utmost respect for the lawyers in Pakistan who are protesting the imbalances of power in their country that occurred in the past week. They are courageous, they have such a respect for the positive power of law, checks and balances, and fair justice that they have won my respect through their complete rejection of the regime's attempt to overthrow justice in their country.

Sometimes, lawyers can be cool.

No comments: