Friday, October 10, 2008

Medicins Sans Frontieres


I started reading Hope in Hell last night, an inside look into the humanitarian relief organization Doctors without Borders. Here are some of my reactions to the first 100 pages:
  • I didn't realize that MSF employed twice as many local health workers as so-called expats.
  • I was sickened to hear about some of the trauma they treat and the causes, children shot in the hands by soldiers, amputees from mortar attacks, extreme dehydration and malnutrition.
  • I think the burn out rate for these health workers would be really high. It sounds like their living conditions are okay, but the work is basically 24/7, and you never have enough resources
  • The work interests me, perhaps not being directly in a war zone, but the refugee camps, the community clinics they are building, this is something I'm drawn to.
  • It also terrifies me at the same time
  • Being a surgeon in this situations would be really helpful to a lot of people, you could save a lot of people's lives.
  • Reading these personal stories of doctors really inspires me, one of the most compelling reasons to become a doctor is exactly what doctors do every day in MSF, they can save people's lives with their intellect, skill, and technical knowledge.
  • My statement still stands that there is nothing more privileged or cool in the world then having these skills and using them for good.
  • Most of all, I was deeply saddened. Saddened that this type of organization is needed. Saddened that so many people are in such brutal living conditions, unfairly and unjustly, with no fault of their own.
www.msf.org
A reason that MSF is able to stay independent is largely thanks to individual donations. If you're interested in donating, learn more here

No comments: