Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Musings on medicine and money

The more problems I see with medicine, the more I blame the infusion of money and business for the erosion of the medical profession. As a profession, we need to do more to uphold the integrity and ethos of our practice. This means being open source, nonprofit, honest and transparent. It's easier now than ever to make money as a doctor, through biotech, boutique medicine, private practice, and if we want to keep medicine as a profession, we need to stop this. Patients should always feel 100% confident that the tests we order, the surgeries we do, and the visits we schedule, are in their best interests, there should be no doubt about this. If you want to join me in making sure that medicine stays an independent, noble, and honorable profession, please let me know. Support open source software, support the removal of big pharma from our education and practice, and speak up against those who say otherwise. I'm reclaiming medicine as an honorable profession, I'm proud to work hard now to help my patients in the future. The debt, time, and hard work is worth the honor and esteem that comes along with being a doctor, and mark my word I will be a physician of virtue and always act in the best interests of my patients. When the integrity of medicine is doubted, physicians lose their power. Our voices are supposed to be the ones advocating for better care for our patients, better political policies and social programs. It should NOT be the case that medical societies speak up in the name of their paycheck and not their patients. That is a disgrace to medicine and other physcians, me included, need to vocalize this dismay. If we don't, who will?

No comments: