Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Cedar Waxwing

I am thrilled! I spied a species of bird this evening that I've never seen before. Apparently cedar waxwings are common around Chicago, but it was my first sighting! I saw three in the bushes around North Pond in Lincoln Park. Really striking birds with a silky brown color and crest, a bright yellow tipped tail and a black mask. This is one of my favorite birds yet! Plus, as a budding birder, I'm proud that I was able to see it in nature and come back home and identify it. Slowly but surely I'm building my birding muscle. I wish I had heard the waxwing's song!

Copyright Pinterest as usual, my photos are all blurry!

2 comments:

Mark Pederson said...

Beautiful bird! I've never seen one before, I'll be on the lookout.

Julia said...

They live year round in the Chicago area, but only winter in Northern California. They like berries, fruits, and seeds.