Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Running Goals

Trying to avoid politics for the moment (my heart can't take it!), I'm going to focus this post on my new running goals.

I've been building up my mileage recently, I've ran 76 miles total in 2008. I've even gained some running buddies, which is making my increased mileage way easier to handle.

I've decided to shoot for 2 running goals for the first 6 months of the year. so basically I want to reach these goals by my 23rd birthday (oh my!).

Goal #1: sub-20 minute 5k
Goal #2: 5:30 mile

I ran a 22:11 5k at the 2006 Turkey Trot, and I've ran a 6:00 mile when I was 12, so I think these two goals are feasible-barring injury of course.

My training plan for these two goals are focused around two themes:
1. Mileage
2. Tempo runs
I'm really going to focus on increasing my mileage, up to 6-7 miles 3 days a week. I'm also going to really try to push myself in some faster paced 1-3 mile runs. I think this will give me both the endurance and speed required to hit my goals.

So exciting-will keep you posted!

No comments: