Tuesday, April 8, 2008

MRI report

My doctor called this afternoon with the MRI results of my knee. I have a cartilage divot behind the knee cap that is the cause of the knee locking cracking, From what Dr. Allen told me, arthroscopic surgery to shave the cartilage to make it level is the treatment for this.

I am not so sure about knee surgery, I've been running better then ever for the last month, and only 1 or 2 times out of the 67 miles I ran in March did I have to stop and pull up because of sharp pain. Would surgery, time off, and rehab be worth minimizing those 1 or 2 times a month? If this was August, when I couldn't run, had trouble walking at times, I would say yes 10/10 times, but now that I feel pretty good this option doesn't make sense to me.

Today I did an interval workout: 400m, 300, 200, 100, 100, 200, 300, 400 with 100m walks in between, at decent paces and felt fabulous, better then ever -better then last year at this time when I was training for track! Given this, the only reason I would consider doing the surgery would be if this divot would cause long-term damage to my knee (which I'll probably have regardless!)

Any thoughts or suggestions?

No comments: