Thursday, May 14, 2009

Sleep Minimization Experiment

It is upsetting to me that I need to waste at least 7 hours of every single day passively sleeping. I'm at a point in my life where I am intensely interested and passionate about learning, reading, understanding that I wish I had more hours in my day. I know, sleep is important, "sleeping on" a decision can help us have insight and perspective, sleep is good for your health. But gosh darn it why can't I just need like 2-3 hours of sleep and call it a night? I mean 7-8 hours every day is like 1/3 of my entire life! That seems unfair. I want more time to live, learn, and contribute then to sleep, dream, and rest.

I know there are some people that supposedly can get by on 4-5 hours of sleep every night, I'm going to give it a shot. Maybe I don't need as much sleep as I think do.

Update: 2 Interesting anecdotes (from here)
1. The longest recorded period without sleep is an astounding 33 years, performed by 64 year old Vietnamese man named Thai Ngoc, who claims to have lost his need for sleep after a sickness in the 70’s. Surprisingly, he experiences no ill negative effects from this condition, not even the normal sleep deprivation effects such as fatigue, loss of concentration, and so on. Under normal circumstances, people who lose even a few days of sleep start exhibiting cognitive symptoms usually only present in senior citizens.

2. Many notable people through history have claimed to need less sleep - Michelangelo, Napoleon, Thomas Edison all claim to have only needed 4 hours of sleep a night. In modern days, Madonna, Jay Leno, Margaret Thatcher and many others say the same thing. It seems to be more prevalent in highly ambitious, driven individuals.

Given anecdote #2, perhaps I will have positive results of my experiment!!!

No comments: