Monday, November 23, 2009

Humans: Are we like differentiated cells or stem cells?

Disclosure: Yes, I'm studying over Thanksgiving Break. I must. I spent too much time working on cool projects rather than studying the last month and now my break is paying for it. At least what I'm learning is interesting!

Humans as differentiated cells
Do we start out all equal, capable of anything and everything? Then, over time, progressively restrict our goals, hopes, opportunities and dreams?  Does every little choice we make steer us towards our final destination, in sequential order? Meaning that if we didn't make choice A and B first, then we couldn't arrive at C?

Or...

Humans as stem cells
Not only do we start out with the world at our feet, but we have this ability throughout our lives. Are we constantly capable of reinventing ourselves? With the right mix of opportunity and timing, can we become anything we want to be? We can self-renew, be bold. But we need might need the right environment, the right parents, the right nurturing in order to have this ability.

I love biology metaphors. I think we might be something in between. Mostly differentiated cells, but under the right conditions we can be changed into stem cells, like inducible pluripotent stem cells!

PS. I shadowed Dr. Verghese today, it was pretty much totally awesome. Tomorrow I'm going on oncology rounds. So thankful for these learning opportunities...

No comments: