Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Time flies

I'm in disbelief that there are only 6 more days of class in my first quarter of medical school. Does time really past that quickly? Will I really have learnt 1/6 of what I need to learn before starting clinical rotations (answer: no, they take it easy on students during the first quarter!). I still haven't figured out an adequate schedule, a way to continue running, to study effectively, to not go crazy but also not get behind. But, I am enjoying all my classes still, I love getting to know my classmates, figuring out all that there is at Stanford. Stanford is amazing, there are so many opportunities, areas of research, talks, seminars, volunteer opportunities, it will take me at least a quarter to figure out all that is going on here before I can start to hone in on what I would like to work on, devote myself to. Tomorrow I get to learn knot-tying, Saturday I'll learn how to "scrub-in" to surgeries. Now when I look at someone's arm, I can imagine all that lies beneath, but when I look at someone's face I just see it as a normal person would see it. I'm both humbled and nervous that this ability to view the body as a "normal person" does is leaving me, week by week because of anatomy lab. It's getting chillier here in Northern California, but boy do I like it when "chilly" is 50 degrees and not 30!

No comments: