Thursday, March 4, 2010

Need a check up?

Tomorrow afternoon I have my physical exam assessment. 45 minutes to conduct a comprehensive physical exam on a standardized patient, with my preceptor watching the whole time. I've been practicing all week, with classmates and willing family members (thanks Abs-you're the best patient ever!). I feel confident in my knowledge: inspect, palpate, percuss, auscultate, repeat. The extent of my current skills includes:

Vitals (Pulse, Respiratory Rate, Blood Pressure)
HEENT (Head Eyes, Ears Nose and Throat): Say Ahh!
Pulmonary Exam: Take a deep breath in and out...
Cardiovascular Exam: Now I'm going to listen to your heart and check your pulses...
Abdominal Exam: Palpating the liver, spleen, kidneys, intestines
Musculoskeletal Exam: Check for joint pain, range of motion
Neurological Exam: Mental Status, Cranial Nerves, Sensory, Motor, Coordination, Reflexes, Gait

After much practice, the order feels smooth and is easily remembered. I wouldn't say it feels natural yet, I still have trouble thinking up relevant questions, and often lack an easy flow of conversation since I have to concentrate so much on my task at hand... I've come a long way though. In January, it was so foreign to listen to the lungs, or look into someone's ears, I am really impressed with how much I've learned. Far from perfect, but significant strides have been made. Fall quarter we learned the basics of talking with patients about personal medical information, I now feel the added weight of examining their bodies closely. Without  realizing it, I'm becoming more "doctorly" every day. I remember back in September when even wearing a white coat felt so foreign, like I was an imposter, pretending to play doctor. I'm slowly earning the white coat, and becoming more comfortable with the responsibility that comes with the coat and the stethoscope.

No comments: