Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Give and Take

On Monday morning, I received an email from the Stanford Blood Center, asking to donate blood because they are very low on their stock of Type A blood for patients. I immediately called and scheduled an appointment to donate that afternoon. I saw giving blood as an opportunity to make amends for my novice blood draws at the free clinic on Saturday. It's the least I could do. It ended up being a family affair, me, my dad and my mom donated! It was the first time my mom had ever donated, but she was a champ. I even convinced Woody, a fellow med student to donate! We all received t-shirts and free pints of baskin robbins ice cream...A pint for a pint...

Life is such a give and take, and I'm glad I took the opportunity to give a little. You can now give blood once every two months, and I'm pledging to do my best to do that this year. I learned that sometimes you can give, sometimes you have to take, but it turns out alright in the end as long as you do your best...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are so right—you never know when you or someone close to you might actually *need* blood, so it feels really good to give.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on donating, and for recruiting your family. Let me know next time y'all come in; maybe I can come snap a photo for our newsletter. It's people like you, who share their good experiences, who have the most impact on recruiting new/hesitant donors.

Brooke Wilson
Communications Manager @ Stanford Blood Center