Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Running Parties

Yesterday commenced a new era of SF running buds. Amy, Eugene, Jay, and I teamed up for a 3.3 mile easy run in the GG. When we finished, I felt like we had just begun. I get so easily distracted talking with people, it really makes my runs fly by --another great reason for awesome running friends!

I truly believe that running with someone is the best way to get to know them. Suddenly your runs become a lot more memorable and a lot less painful too. Running parties can be a tricky thing to skillfully orchestrate. As a college-level track athlete, a lot of my friends and family have been intimidated to run with me. I understand the trepidation, but keep in mind that I want you to love running as much as I do!!! I don't want to show off how fast I am or make you struggle!

Here's some general rules of thumb I've found to be helpful in creating a non-threatening, fun, and highly entertaining running environment...

Running Parties Rules of Thumb:
1. The Golden Rule of Running Parties: Run as fast as the slowest person
2. Walking is always acceptable if needed, never ridiculed
3. Check-in with your buds throughout the run to make sure the pace/distance is still working for them!

Interval Parties can be really awesome too, they work a bit differently then Running Parties...
Interval Parties Rules of Thumb:
1. Finish the workout you set out to do (ie: set realistic distances and paces!!!)
2. Fastest runner starts first and gets the inside of the track
3. If you're running the same speed as your training buds, you should alternate who leads/follows (I'm bad at this part, I always want to lead...)
4. As courtesy, whoever finishes first encourages those still running

I'm sure I'll add to these, but these are decent points to keep in mind when you're running with other people. I totally recommend throwing running parties as often as possible!!!

Also, if you are training for something very specific, or you have different goals then those you run with, it's good to keep a balance between social runs and personal workouts. For example, you might want to push your 4 mile tempo run faster then others in your group -that's a good time for a solo run. If you have hidden agendas in your running parties you'll be in for a "world of hurt**"

**I can't believe S.P used that phrase on national television, repeatedly.

1 comment:

Jesse Armijo said...

I like how you call them parties.... Its true, running with someone is a bonding experience.