Wednesday, January 13, 2010

I love med school!

Days like today remind me how incredibly cool it is to be in medical school. I start the morning shadowing Dr. Osterberg at the VA's hypertension clinic, learning about all the different causes of secondary hypertension and the different ways to understand the source of someone's high blood pressure. Then I have an inspiring meeting with Dr. Salvatierra, who, through dogged determination created the US system of organ transplantation UNOS with Al Gore, basically saying I should aim high and never take no for an answer. Quick lunch and I'm learning about the new Stanford initiative to combat child mortality in war-torn chaotic places. Best part of my day, was my Surgical Anatomy and Techniques class. I learned how to do a bowel anastomosis! Basically how to suture together two torn parts of intestine, I learned how to use a GIA stapler and how to do a horizontal connell suture to tie it up nicely. But wait, I'm not done, then I went to the Muskuloskeletal exam class and learned how to do a basic hip and knee exam. I LOVE MY LIFE!!!!!

If only I didn't have to study all evening, oh well, it's not too bad to learn about the immune system and all the crazy bacteria that cause infection and disease, it's kinda fun.

Update: In case you're intrigued, here's a youtube video of the connel suture technqiue

No comments: