Saturday, January 30, 2010

Neil and Peggy from The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down

Neil and Peggy impressed me so much. They are the physicians depicted in Ann Fadiman's book The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down. The book focuses on the medical care of a young Hmong girl named Lia, and chronicles both sides of the story, it is a sad story, full of examples of how it can be so hard to truly understand another person's, another culture's perspective at times. Taking care of Lia was the hardest thing Neil and Peggy have done in their professional careers, and what they learned the most from. I was so impressed with their humility and respect for their patients and the practice of medicine. I only hope to be as thoughtful and reflective during my career as they are. I was overwhelmed with how much I respected and appreciated their professionalism and approach to their careers. Truly an honor to meet both of them.

No comments: