Friday, April 10, 2009

Future Surgeon?

I shadowed a surgery in the OR yesterday...and I loved it. I loved everything about it, from meeting the patient before hand, the anesthesiologist talking to her while she went to sleep, the careful prep needed to ensure the comfort of the patient, the team dynamic of different doctors and nurses working together, the constant double-checking for safety and sterile purposes, the teaching of residents, the knowledge of anatomy, the physical skill need to do the actual surgery, the leadership of the surgeon, talking with the patient and her family afterward and making sure she was doing well and answering her questions.

I LOVED IT. Really, honestly, loved it. All day I was excited and going over the details of everything again and again in my head. What an awesome job.

Wish I could be seeing another one today....

1 comment:

JB said...

That's awesome, funny how different two people's reactions to watching a surgery can be!