Saturday, July 12, 2008

Thinkers and Doers

Over the past few years I’ve become more and more interested in the way the world operates. I feel like in high school and most of college I was a doer, I did sports, I did my school work, I was really busy doing things. I’ve noticed that I’ve been gradually changing into starting to think a lot more. To think about why I do what I do, To think about what I really want to do and what there is to do.

I also recognize that, as a Doer, I surrounded myself by other Doers. I’ve started to try to seek out Thinkers, I really don’t know many Thinkers.

There are Thinkers, Doers, and then there are Thinkers AND Doers. What I want to strive for is being a Thinker and a Doer. I think it’s easier to start out as a Doer and then become a Thinker and a Doer. Being a Doer comes naturally to me, and I know this is not the case for a lot of people. I have no problem planning crazy weekend hikes, starting to coach a track team, deciding to go to Germany, starting a blog, making videos. I just DO DO DO. I think I can really start to harness my Doerness now that I’ve really begun to think. This excites me and exhilarates me. Reading really helps me to think, I love reading, I love reading narratives, fictional novels, biographies, blogs, OpEds. I just really love hearing other people’s perspectives, it gives me something to think about, to compare what I think and believe.

This girl sitting in front of my on the plane right now is such a Doer. She’s like 3 years old and just keeps peeping back at me and playing a little game of hide and seek.

No comments: