Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Pearls of Wisdom from the 3rd and Final Day of Orientation

"Whenever I see a medical student on the wards cry, I am delighted because I know this means they will be a wonderful physician" -Abraham Verghese

"To be a good physician is to walk in your patient's shoes as best you can" -AV

"It means you haven't yet transitioned from your precynical years to the cynical years" -AV

"Don't be afraid to look stupid now, it's bad to be stupid later" -Gill Chu

Regarding the Health and Human Disease course: "You gotta be encyclopedic about medicine"
___
Tomorrow is officially my first day of medical school. I have a full schedule starting off with Molecular Foundations of Medicine, moving on to Cells to Tissue, and then finishing off the day in anatomy lab. I will do my best to follow Gill Chu's 3 pieces of advice:

1. Your first obligation is to yourself
2. Your second obligation is to your patients
3. Ask for help and get in the habit of asking for help because you never want to wing it on the wards.

Wish me luck!

No comments: