Friday, August 28, 2009

Stethoscope Ceremony

Tonight I received my stethoscope and recited the Stanford Affirmation with my class as my official induction into medicine.

Here is an excerpt of the Stanford Affirmation:
"On my admission to the Practice of Medicine I pledge to devote my life to the service of humanity. The care of my patients will be my first consideration.....I will hold all life dear, and let knowledge, wisdom, courage and compassion guide my therapy. I will use my medical knowledge to promote human rights, social justice, and civil liberties...."

It was a wonderful evening and I'm so happy my family was able to be there. As I dive into my first preclinical year, full of molecular biology, genetics, and basic science courses, I hope to remember why I'm here, all the women and families I worked with at the BCC, and hope to begin to personify the quote Dr. Probe gave at the end of the night...

Cure sometimes
Relieve often
Comfort always

No comments: