Thursday, September 3, 2009

Insane in the Pericardium

Today I cut out a human heart, and held it in my hands. I've never felt like I was on more hallowed ground. Very few people in the world are granted this opportunity to study true-life forms for the sake of some day hoping to save and improve the lives of others...Most people whose blog posts start with, "today I cut out a human heart" would be marked as serial killer status...Seeing the real deal makes me so motivated to study and make sure I know everything inside and out. It also makes me realize that our bodies are amazing, sophisticated rockstars.

Things I learned about the heart:
  • It's big! At least in most people, its bigger than my hands folded together. One cadaver had a super tiny heart
  • It can have things in it! Our cadaver had a pacemaker going through the superior vena cava
  • Everything that surrounds it (muscle, pericardium) is very strong


I also ran intervals today: 800, 400, and 3 200's. It's a start. I will not divulge my times because they are embarrassing. But on the bright side, the Stanford track is beautiful!

PS. Follow me! I added a "Followers" gadget to the bottom right hand of the screen.

No comments: