Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Gross Anatomy

I hate the smell of anatomy lab, but I love anatomy. It is so novel, I do something new and learn so much each time. For example, today I sawed through the ribs, cut through arteries and veins, and held lungs in my hands (my double gloved hands, thanks to Naila's advice).

...Sure I cut off part of the lung that I wasn't supposed to, nicked the outside lining of the heart, and had to re-saw through the bone because I didn't cut it all the first time, and keep calling the internal thoracic artery the internal thoracic nerve, but that's the fun part, and now I know better. I am so thankful for this unique and slightly nauseating experience. The 3-hours in anatomy lab fly by, much faster than any of my other classes (though I'm enjoying them too).

Given my kindergarten-like cutting skills, and lack of knowledge of anatomy, I am even more impressed at the surgical skills of some physicians. How some doctors can do a heart bypass by integrating the internal thoracic artery into the heart is beyond me. Infathomable. Beyond belief. But I will get there. One day.

No comments: